Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Glance Over the Shoulder

 So I would just like to take a minute to assess how much I have been able to accomplish these past few weeks. Consider this a little pat on my own back, something every person needs once in a while.
So over these past few weeks:
1. I have read a history play, a comedy, a tragedy, and a romance. That's some considerable breadth for Shakespeare.
2. I have learned a considerable amount about Shakespearean genre. And also how each of the genres are similar.
3. I've learned how to view some of Shakespeare's plays through a more critical lense.
4. I've learned how to apply some of the more general aspects of Shakespeare's plays.
5. And most of all, I've learned how to enjoy Shakespeare. I have gotten to the point where I can almost read Shakespeare like a regular novel. It takes some getting into at first, but after a while, I'm almost sad to put the book down.

So this sums up my progress. I may have learned more than this, but this is what grabbed my attention while thinking about it. I think it's really important to make connections to our lives through these plays, and that is something I am going to work more on, as well as engaging Shakespeare creatively.