Friday, February 4, 2011

BBC's Twelfth Night

This is how I picture Illyria. (Really it's the Oregon coast)
Well, I suppose I should also make some kind of comment about the movie Brooke and I watched together. Brooke gives a great summary on her blog talking about what BBC did and didn't do with the characters. For the most part I agree. I feel like they did a creditable job of doing a relatively more modern interpretation.
I have to say though, there are aspects of the movie I didn't like. Part of it may have been my expectation that it be a little more farcical. That was how my reading of the play was: laughing was my most common reaction to it. But the movie brought some of those more interesting tensions to the surface, which I wasn't expecting. As a result, I was both intrigued and annoyed.
I do agree that the Duke was horribly cast. Although the lines are not the easiest to work with, I feel like some other actors could have brought more to the table in that situation. Don't ask me why, but I see Robert Downey, Jr. doing great in that role. Just a hunch! Maybe he's simply more manly than that other guy...blech.
Anyway, despite the melancholy overtones at the beginning, the movie turned out all right. I do agree that Feste's role proved to be an interesting interpretation. That was one direction I really liked.

So, this movie made me think, what direction would I go if I had to recreate Twelfth Night?
A few changes:
  • I would, of course, choose a cast that melds well together, without having to convince the audience of their cohesiveness. (one thing really lacking at the beginning of the BBC version).
  • I would probably choose to set the time period further back, like Shakespeare's time.
  • There would probably be more hedonistic overtones in the Duke of Orcino's court. That's just how I envision it. That would bring in the carnival element that the intro in our book talks about.
  • I would definitely bring in some elements of the farce like in The Importance of Being Earnest. I know Oscar Wilde is vastly different from Shakespeare, but it could be both entertaining and interesting. 
  • I would make sure the soundtrack is uplifting and well done. (And matches the scene).
So there you have it. What would you do?