Thursday, March 31, 2011

Shakespearean Sonnets: Discovering a New Resource!

As I was on the hunt for a good article or blog about Sonnet 116, I struggled to find something that related to the sonnet in a more focused way (rather than a sketchy misquote). While going through this process, as irritating as it is, I irritably gave up and, in a fit of desperation, I googled "Sonnet 116 analysis." To my surprise, I found this intriguing new website called schmoop.com.

Schmoop contains all kinds of interesting little factoids and information all divided up under subheadings. For instance, under Analysis (on the topic bar), they give several different subheadings, such as Symbols, Imagery and Wordplay,  Steaminess Rating, and Allusions.

Just glancing through, the style of writing is very much like someone who is speaking, and it's clearly geared towards a teenage group learning the elementals about Shakespeare. However, I felt like they made some good, worthwhile observations about the poem:
  • "The marriage described in this poem is not a formal contract; rather, it is a "marriage of true minds," a phrase that suggests a deep understanding between two equals, rather than a mere legal bond."
  •  "The poem’s central extended metaphor is the comparison of love to a star – specifically the North Star, which doesn’t ever change position in the night sky. This made it particularly important to sailors, who calculated the location of their ships based on the stars."
  • They also talk about the conventions of Petrarchan sonnets (although they don't call them that) and the view of love in those poems. 
  • In the theme section, the website writers list the themes and then give questions to spur the readers thinking about the poem. 
All in all, I feel like the website actually increased my understanding of Sonnet 116. They bring up the issue of true love in the poem which is basically the antithesis of my main focus. The main aspecto of true love is eternity, according to Shakespeare. I think what it comes down to is the way love can hit you in an instant, but it can also stay with you forever.