Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Macbeth the Movie: Where is the Love?

Courtesy of Netflix
I began watching the 2010 PBS version of Macbeth today, with the hope that my focus might shine through in some way. In the hour that I was able to watch (all I had time for today), I was sadly disappointed. Maybe this is what lends the play such a dreary, dark aspect. Of course, the movie did nothing to improve this feeling.

It has a World War II setting, although what side Macbeth fights for is pretty ambiguous. Duncan sort of resembles Hitler, so it's possible they are representing the German side. So far, everything has taken place in barracks made of cement with very little visual interest.

Some things I think the movie has done well so far:
  • The setting is very bland and really forces the audience to pay attention completely to the actors. Yet it lends itself to visual interest and aesthetic when necessary.
  • The witches were spot on. They don't have actual beards, but they were dressed as war nurses, so when they pulled their face masks down, they looked like beards. Their little satanic rituals were pretty realistic and unnerving. 
  • It captures the raw violence of the play. I don't think they're overexaggerating this part, which is a little sickening.
  • Lady Macbeth has the perfect amount of sex appeal and insanity. She's pretty but also skeletal looking. 
  • The production design is very sparse, but they've done a good job. 
  • I also recommend this movie to anyone doing sound. It's really interesting how they chose to do sound effects.

Some things not so good:
  • Some parts are just a little too...creepy. For instance, the witches pull a heart out of a dead man's body to use for their ritual. Did not need to see that.
  • The porter was a little too crude. Just not my cup of tea.
All in all, it has been interesting to look at, and I will do a deeper analysis when I finish the movie.