Friday, January 14, 2011

"Thought is free" but education is not

Learning about Shakespeare is kind of double-edged sword. You learn a lot about literature and all that good kind of stuff, but you really start to think in that elevated kind of language, not to mention you start to see everything as some kind of innuendo. Ok, maybe not. But I'm grateful for the opportunity to plan how this course is going to go for me.
So here goes:
Goal 1: I really want to focus on the genres of Shakespeare that I have taken for granted in the past. The only history I ever read of his was Julius Caesar. I also want to read some of his better known plays that I've never read, like Macbeth, King Lear. For a total, I want to read about 12 of his plays. I also want to read at least three works based on those plays from a different perspective (like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern with Hamlet).

Goal 2: I want to watch as many of the films for the plays and adaptations as I can. Probably won't reach all 15, because of time constraints, but it's worth a shot. For three of the movies, I then want to write a film review (because I have done it before and it really helps!) as if I were going to submit it to a newspaper.

Goal 3: Okay, two things. #1: perform a lesser known monologue for some friends or the class. I have a roommate that is a theatre major and she can maybe help me a little bit. And #2: Write a narrative of some kind for a Shakespeare play from a minor character's perspective.

Goal 4: I want to research theories about perspective, especially in drama. I will share as much as I can about what I learn on my blog, both informative and entertaining content. If I write a blog I am particularly proud of, I might even post it on my facebook status.

So here it is, and I promise to abide by what I've written as best as I can!