Tuesday, January 11, 2011

10 Unexpected Reasons Why Shakespeare and I Get Along

Every English speaker forms their relationship with Shakespeare throughout their early lives. For myself, I stayed pretty neutral towards Shakespeare until my senior of high school when we read several of his plays. I have had opportunities to read more of his work on my own and in classes since then. Every time I am struck by things I like.

Here are some of them:

1. He has an “earthy” sense of humor. Some matrons that might unknowingly quote some random Shakespearean might blush to know what was really meant by it. It took me some time to get in the mindset, but pretty much all of Shakespeare’s common dialogue is innuendo. And, immature as I am, I find it funny.

2. He’s not afraid to go big. I mean look at Hamlet, or Romeo and Juliet. Half the cast dies, and the other half live out their lives in contented regret. Not everyone can get away with that.

3. He treats his women well. Ok. Some of the time. But he really does give them more humanity than other writers of his time, which I have to appreciate, being a woman and all.

4. Sometimes the little guy triumphs over the big guy. We Americans sure have an appreciation for the underdog. For instance, Othello is the big guy in charge, and Iago is the little pee-on. Who goes crazy and kills his wife? Not Othello. No, he is carefully manipulated by the servant he trusted. As despicable as Iago is, you can’t help admiring his crafty ingenuity.

5. The guy is one big romantic. I don’t know how much of that stems from his money-making tendencies, but still. Talking about undying love never hurt anyone.

6. Some of his characters have attitude, with a capital A. He really allows his womenfolk to be quite sassy. So entertaining!

7. He knows how to put in the action. Yes, his characters do a lot of talking, but there are plenty of fight scenes in any of his plays.

8. He makes up his own words. How cool is that! If he can do it, then maybe I can….

9. He understands the important stuff. I’m thinking of the theme of redemption in Winter’s Tale.

10. He rhymes better than a rapper. You never feel like he was really stretching the rhymes. It sounds almost natural. Jealous Eminem?